Fur hats and mittens. Leather vests. Belts. Knife sheaths. Wallets. These are just a few of the things that you can make by home tanning and hand-working your own furs and leathers.
In Tan Your Hide!, Phyllis Hobson explains just what you need to tan your own leather and fur, and all the steps involved in doing it right. The end result is a handsome and durable homemade article that will last for many years.
The cost? Very little — mainly your own labor and a few simple tools. And once you have tanned your furs and leathers, Steve Edwards explains how to make basic leather and fur products, with patterns that you can follow for certain success.
The authors tell:
- what tools and chemicals you’ll need
- how to select the hide
- the steps for tanning leather and fur
- how to test for tanning
- old-time Indian tanning methods
- how to make your own dyes
- what qualities of leather to look for
- which tools you need for leatherworking
- basic leatherworking techniques
- where to find tools and supplies
|Tan Your Hide!